The Slice tool allows you to divide an image into smaller sections which fit together like a jigsaw (but with straight edges). The slice tool is located in the top section of the Photoshop Toolbox.
There are two tools: Slice (which creates the slices) and Slice Select (which enables you to select and modify existing slices).
Sliced images are commonly used for web design work, which sometimes requires images to be broken up in this way.
Using the Slice and Slice Select Tools
- Select the slice tool in the toolbox.
- Click and drag over the area you wish to make into a slice.
- Release the mouse button – Photoshop automatically creates the necessary number of slices, with the active slice highlighted.
- Using the slice select tool, you can move and resize slices by dragging inside a slice, or by dragging the handles.
- To export the separate images, choose File > Save for Web from the Photoshop menu. When you save the file you will have the option to save the images and/or a new HTML page to contain the images.